Dashing through the snow to get your seasonal poinsettia? Wait just a minute! While this rosy red beauty is a traditional staple of the holiday season, it can also be a danger to your dog. Luckily, the toxicity level is mild for most, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry!
So, no poinsettia with your pup around. Got it… but that’s not all! Here are a few other dangerous décor items that we always avoid while decking the halls here at Camp:
- Mistletoe & Holly: Oh, by gosh, by golly, better step away from that mistletoe and holly! Similar to poinsettias, mistletoe can have a mildly toxic effect if swallowed by your pooch. Holly, however, has a similar effect to that of chocolate and caffeine when ingested.
- Edible Ornaments: Candy canes, macaroni art and popcorn garland are best placed nice and high. That way, Fido won’t be tempted to taste! Not only that, but having edible ornaments within reach can make him more likely to pounce, destroying your tree and risking injury.
- Lights & Lit Candles: We get it — you want to cozy up on the couch next to your tree with your furry friend by candlelight. Makes sense! Just remember to blow out candles and turn off the lights when you’re not around to reduce the risk of accident or fire. (Bonus Tip: Tuck away your extension cords so Fido doesn’t mistake them for chew toys!)
- Delicate Ornaments: Not only can glass ornaments shatter if jostled, but by hanging these ornaments within Fido’s reach, you’ll also risk losing a treasured item. Don’t let your beloved family heirlooms fall victim to a pouncing pooch!
- Tinsel: “Ooh, shiny!” That’s the only thing your dog is thinking when he sees tinsel glistening around your home for the holidays. Unfortunately, “shiny” quickly turns to “tasty,” which can lead to an intestinal obstruction if tinsel is ingested.
As you can see, there’s a lot that can dim an otherwise merry and bright holiday. In fact, even if you follow the strictest of decorating guidelines, we suggest you never leave your pup amidst holiday décor unattended for too long. Going away for the holidays and need a solution? Let Fido spend the most wonderful time of the year safe and sound with his Camp Bow Wow friends and family, instead!
Imagine being a Camp owner and getting to spend the holidays with all those furry hugs and slobbery kisses. Talk about a dream come true! Is joining the Pack and marking your own territory in your future? Fill out the form below or call us at (870) 600-2713 to receive your complimentary executive summary and learn more about our current franchise opportunities.